Monday, February 2, 2009

Language Barriers

Today I wanted to share a short video I found on You Tube. It's only about a minute long but summarizes a common problem with communication between cultures. Sometimes the small variations between two words can be very confusing when you're learning a new language. Here is an example:



Furthermore, sometimes you think you're using the right word but the locals use something other than what you learned out of a book. This proves that there are a lot of things you just have to experience to understand. In the video below a man from Monterrey, Mexico explains a few things about his town.


I noticed he called a jacket "chamarra." I have taken four semesters of Spanish and was surprised to hear such an unfamiliar word. I believed that jacket was translated as "chaqueta" so I looked it up using an online translator. It turns out there are about five different translations of the word. So if you are ever visiting a country where the language is foreign remember that you may not know what you're talking about, even if you think you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment